BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

7.22.2008

Of our movies.

Speaking of countdowns, there’s this countdown from FHM. I’m not referring to their stupid top 100 ladies. They had this article regarding the top 50 Pinoy modern movies (from the 70’s up to the present). And here they are in no particular order: (I do hope I don’t get fined for posting this in the internet. I’ll remove this if the FHM guys make me their next cover person)

  1. Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag
  2. Kapit Sa Patalim: Bayan Ko
  3. Manila By Night
  4. Insiang
  5. Sister Stella L
  6. Private Show
  7. Minsa’y Isang Gamu-gamo
  8. Hinugot Sa Langit
  9. Batch ‘81
  10. Oro Plata Mata
  11. Himala
  12. Live Show
  13. Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos
  14. Aguila
  15. Ganito Kami Noon… Paano Kami Ngayon?
  16. Salome
  17. Moral
  18. Brutal
  19. Karnal
  20. Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap
  21. Bona
  22. My Other Woman
  23. Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa
  24. Nunal Sa Tubig
  25. Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo
  26. Pagputi Ng Uwak, Pag-itim Ng Tagak
  27. Relasyon
  28. Hindi Nahahati Ang Langit
  29. Ikaw Ang Lahat Sa Akin
  30. Sana Pag-ibig Na
  31. Kakabakaba Ka Ba?
  32. Temptation Island
  33. Working Girls
  34. May Minamahal
  35. Bridal Shower
  36. Bagets
  37. Sigaw
  38. Kisapmata
  39. Itim
  40. Feng Shui
  41. Shake, Rattle, And Roll 1
  42. Scorpio Nights
  43. Boatman
  44. Segurista
  45. Tuhog
  46. Laman
  47. Ang Pagdadalaga Ni Maximo Oliveros
  48. Magnifico
  49. Kubrador
  50. Ang Kriminal Ng Bo. Concepcion

I’ve only seen a few films in the list. Minsa’y May Isang Gamu-gamo, Batch ’81 (I have the dvd), Bridal Shower, Bagets, Feng Shui,. SRR, Ang Pagdadalaga Ni Maximo Oliveros, and Magnifico.

I’m raring to see and own a copy of Kakabakaba Ka Ba?

I’m Filipino and I’ve only seen a handful from the list. I’m more of a TVJ-Rene-Requestas-Herbert Bautista person.

--=+=--

Having a magazine known for semi-male chauvinistic approach to the society, they have a lot of bomba films in the list. Are we that good in creating these types of films? Thank God they didn’t include other titles such as Virgin People, Patikim ng Pinya, and Sutla. And how did I come up with these titles? I only know movies such as Trip, Jologs, and Cool Dudes.

--=+=--

I’m not sure if we’ve talked about this already…

I’m not sure if we really have a video library, a library where film students and enthusiasts can easily grab a copy for their studies or for enjoyable viewing pleasure. There’s this saying that the future is connected to the past. So, where’s our past? Did it enter a past forward phase?

There’s a big problem for all of this though, money. Unitel has been reconstructing a few movies that were made in the past. The last time I checked there’s this movie by Dolphy, I think the title is Jack n Jill. They’re selling it in Powerbooks and I’m not sure if anyone’s buying the titles in the rack.

--=+=--

Why did I say that money is the problem? Let me see, there’s the machine that costs millions (I think Unitel has Quan-something, I’m not sure if they have Avid). There’s the company that owns the movie with payment for royalty. And the hard work and labor for reconstructing each strip of film (think about it, one second is equal to thirty frames, do the derivative).

And for what, just twenty or fifty people will buy the title.

Hayy.. I wanna watch Oro Plata Mata and Orapronobis.

0 Statements: